8/03/2009

First Night in the Suburbs

       Although Tom and I aren't planning on moving until the end of the month, we did spend one night in our new house this past weekend. We actually had thought we might stay longer, until we were reminded just how hard it is to sleep on an aero-bed. 
       In any case, I was filled with a sense of wonder at the new house. After decades of living in high-rises, it was incredible to watch the dappled sunlight coming in the windows, after making its way past the leaves of our trees. There were birds right outside -- our birds -- nibbling on berries and checking us out.  We opened windows on opposite sides of the house to enjoy a cool cross-breeze at night -- something unheard of in my previous world of apartments and condos.  Perhaps the strangest thing though was how dark and quiet it was once we turned out the lights to lie on our so-called bed.
       It was suddenly clear that we were not downtown anymore.
       There were no streetlights shining in the windows, no ambulances wailing down the street...
       It was our first night in the suburbs.
       That might not be a big deal to some people.  But I have always  been somewhat suburb-phobic. I like the hustle and bustle of city life. I like noise and action and light. Darkness and silence seem oppressive to me. 
       Indeed, those who know me well expressed shock when I first told them of our plan to move.
       Yet, I didn't regret our decision on Saturday night.
       And I hope I never will.
       But just to be sure, my resolution this month is to try to uncover some of the things there are to enjoy in the suburbs.  Despite my city-slicker comments to the contrary, I know there must be more to them than strip malls and restaurant chains. 
       At least I hope so...    

1 comment:

voncey said...

I have felt the way same way about the suburbs, but am seriously considering moving out of the city just to get a decent kitchen and nice bathroom without spending more than half my take-home pay every month!

Looking forward to reading about your discoveries!