7/31/2009

With Apologies to Readers...and Audrey

       I am so sorry I haven't posted for the last week.
       We closed on our new house on Tuesday, and I have been so absolutely thrilled that I didn't want to be Audrey anymore.
       I just wanted to be me!
       After the closing, Tom and I went to the house for a few hours and soaked in our new pool and in the realization that this beautiful home is ours, after almost a year of effort to make it that way.
       Tom said at one point that it is a house suitable for Audrey. But I didn't even care. What is most important is that it is a house perfect for us...

       I have had a few unusual Audrey moments over the last week, however.
       Last Saturday, for example, the former owner invited us over to the house to show us how to operate and care for several features of the home. At one point, he insisted that I come deep into the crawl space with him so he could show me the source of water for an indoor waterfall. I, naturally, was dressed in my Audrey fashions, including a white blouse, heels and a scarf around my neck. In order to get to the water source, we had to snake on our bellies under a beam. And after I snaked back out again, I discovered that my blouse had remained spotless -- just like Audrey's always perfect blouse in "Roman Holiday". 
       I have had less success than before though with my perky reminder phone calls to workers and suppliers. On Wednesday, for example, although three people were supposed to meet me at the house, only one actually showed up. 
       Everyone tells me that is par for the course, and Tom says that even Audrey likely would have had trouble dealing with contractors.
       And honestly, I don't even feel too upset about it.
       Audrey's work with UNICEF (as well as difficulties faced by friends and family members) reminds me that there are way worse things in life than delayed renovations in one's beautiful new home.
       Indeed, I count my blessings.
     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new home!!

~Pam