7/17/2009

Not Alone

       While cleaning out a file drawer the other night, in preparation for our move, the paper shredder fell over -- right onto my foot. And although I tried to teach Tom a lesson in restraint by not screaming, it did hurt pretty badly.  
       Tom got ice for me right away, but I could feel the foot swelling despite our desperate ministrations. So I finally had to sit down and take a break. Tom sweetly suggested that we watch Roman Holiday together on DVD.
       The movie was adorable -- even better than I remembered. I'll talk more about it some other day. But what was most surprising to me this time around was the rather unexpected cut of Audrey Hepburn's "princess gown" in the movie.  
       To my total -- and I mean TOTAL shock, I realized that my wedding dress, worn just over 15 years ago when I married Tom, is nearly exactly the same dress as Audrey's ball gown in the movie. 
       Sure, I wore mine without a sash, crown and medals, but it is otherwise almost identical.  
       How did that happen? 
       I was actually trying to avoid the whole "princess" thing at my wedding -- no train, no elaborate lace or sparkles on my dress, nothing poofy.  I just wanted a simple, elegant ball gown, but somehow ended up looking like Audrey's character in the movie, Princess Ann.
       Is it possible that I was somehow channeling Audrey even back then? Did I somehow purposely, albeit subconsciously, out of the dozens of dresses I tried, choose a dress like Audrey's?
       I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
       But it gets even more strange...
       Is it possible that Michelle Obama was also channeling Audrey Hepburn at her wedding to the man who would become the 44th President of the United States? 

5 comments:

voncey said...

oh my gosh, you're right! Coincidence, I think not! It's a classic style. You, Audrey and Michelle -- fashion icons!

Tom said...

You looked amazing in that dress 15 years ago.

And you haven't worn it since....

:)

YLD said...

(1) Your wedding dress was nicer! Look at the pictures again!
(2) You were prettier as a bride than Audrey Hepburn as a princess! Okay -- so she could act a little!
(3) The fact that I'm your father and paid for your dress has nothing to do with it!

Anonymous said...

Oh I would have loved to have seen a picture of you in your wedding gown! And utterly romantic (& totally Audrey) post.

Pam

Top Dog said...

Keep the compliments coming, everyone. You're making me feel wonderful!