7/23/2009

My Own Roman Holiday

WARNING to TOM: Please don't read this, sweetheart, okay? You are working so hard, and today's posting is bound to seem a little unfair...

       In the movie Roman Holiday, Audrey Hepburn plays a princess who is getting a little stressed out by her royal duties. So she runs away -- just for one glorious day -- and spends it fulfilling her whims and wishes.
       Well, I'm no princess, but I have been a little stressed out lately too. 
       Our house closing is only five days away, and for the last several weeks, I have been busily taking care of all the details that entails. I keep checklists and a calendar by the phone; I wait impatiently for calls back; I am trying to arrange for some renovations of the new house; I am seeking approval from an architectural review committee; I am trying to rent our current home. The list goes on and on.
       So I decided to run away today, like Audrey did, and take a little holiday myself.
       My day was inspired by a good friend who a few days ago suggested we meet for breakfast today, at a lovely local restaurant with tables under the trees in a little garden.  It seemed such a wonderful idea that I decided to stretch it out a bit, and made some appointments -- not for the house, but just for me.
       So after a lovely and lazy breakfast (crepes and French press coffee),  I went to a hair salon. And like Audrey did in Roman Holiday, I got a haircut, although nothing as short as hers in the movie.  I enjoyed a lovely head massage, skimmed fashion magazines, chatted with and hugged (and tipped) the stylist, and then came straight home -- without running any errands along the way. 
       Once at home,  I walked Olympia and then curled up with her for a furry 45-minute nap.  
       And then it was off to the spa for a facial. 
       While waiting for my appointment, I sipped herbal tea and read a few pages from a book called "The Art of Doing Nothing".  On the book's advice, I practiced some deep breathing, and I learned about the unexpected benefits of procrastination.
        And then, after my treatment, I came home --  like Audrey did -- back to my duties.
        Over the last couple of hours, I confirmed our new cable and phone service, called the bank, picked up the dry cleaning and spoke to our realtor about our scheduled final walk-through of the house on Monday. 
       And suddenly, after my little Roman Holiday, all of it seems just fine. In fact, it seems absolutely glorious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a massage therapist & stress reduction expert I think what you did was exquisite and good for your health! Well done Audry er, I mean Brenda!

Pam

Anonymous said...

Can you say Vespa?
I sent you a link to the local dealer. You can even rent one for a day.