7/06/2009

Something in Common

       After a long July 4 weekend, it was time today to get back down to some of the details of my future home. Although we will not take possession until the end of the month, the current owner is generously making it available to us so we can plan some renovations.  
       I arranged to meet four different workers at the new house -- two handymen, a fence installer and a tile guy. Each was scheduled to arrive on successive hours -- at 2, 3, 4 and 5 PM.  
       Of course, I wanted to be Audrey Hepburn-ish about my busy afternoon.  So I called each of them this morning, and ever-so-sweetly and perkily confirmed that each knew his arrival time, the address of the house, and my cell phone number. 
       Then I had to prepare my appearance. I wanted to look Audrey-like, without making the workmen fear I was  loony. I figured a head scarf would do it. 
       Going through my drawers, I located a narrow white silk scarf with yellow, pink and orange polka dots. Although I had bought it several years ago, thinking it might be a useful accessory, the fact is that I rarely accessorize and had never ever actually found an occasion to use it. I decided that today though I would wear it with khakis and a conservative white tank top -- and low heels instead of sneakers.
       I figured I would wear the scarf just above my bangs and tied low across the back of my neck, under a simple ponytail. But despite repeated efforts, the scarf refused to stay in place. My dark hair is far from thick, and the scarf found nothing substantial to rest on. If I moved at all, the scarf slipped off. 
       Then I remembered that photos of Audrey often show her with a scarf literally wrapped around her head. I have always found that a slightly goofy look. 
       And while watching "War and Peace" with Tom, I remember commenting on how strange it was that she was the only character who appeared to have her hats tied onto her head. 
       Then some internet research showed that Audrey also sometimes wore scarves tied under her chin -- another somewhat inappropriate look in today's times. The only people who do that these days are women with fresh hairdos trying to keep rain off their head, trailer trash trying to hide their curlers...and old Russian ladies.
        And then it struck me that perhaps Audrey and I have something unexpected in common
       Yes, although I will never have her thin dancer-like body, maybe I do have her thin pointy head and also her thin wispy hair that apparently refuses to hold a scarf unless it is tied on tightly. Hooray for me!
        After wasting 25 minutes trying unsuccessfully to keep the scarf in my hair and another 10 minutes researching the issue, I had so little time left that I feared I would be late for my 2:00 appointment at the new house -- surely a non- Audrey like behavior.
       So I quickly tied the scarf around my neck, a la Audrey in "Roman Holiday".
       I smiled at myself in the mirror. It was perfect. 
       Then I drove furiously to the suburbs -- in my car, instead of a Vespa -- and was only five minutes late for my first appointment.  
       And everyone else arrived right at their perkily-confirmed appointed hour. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

This month's resolution is truly inspired. I wondered mightily just HOW you intended to channel AH. After reading this post I had to let you know I will be looking forward to each and every post!! Yes to scarves and low heels! I love it!

Pam

Top Dog said...

Welcome back, Pam! I hope you had a lovely vacation. As always, I look forward to your comments.