10/02/2009

Um...uh...

       So what's my resolution for October?
       It's...um...uh... 
       Wait!  I know I know it.  Just give me a second. It'll come to me.  
       Um...It's that thing. You know...the...um...
       Okay...the thing is that I'm feeling a bit slow lately -- a bit less than sharp. To be blunt, I am occasionally having trouble thinking of words, or names of movies and actors, or the name of a restaurant I want to recommend to someone (particularly at the very moment I want to talk about it). 
       I make some attempts to cover it up. I tend to think before speaking, so if I'm having trouble remembering some key name or fact, I just don't bring up the topic.  Of course, that means I sometimes fail to participate in a conversation when I am truly bursting to say something. I know I know what it is I want to say. I just have to wait until my brain comes up with it.  It feels like a long silent stutter.  
       I'm aware I'm not alone in this feeling of slowness. Many of my friends of similar age admit to having these small lapses. In fact, I recently had a dear college friend visiting, who asked me several times about the topic of my October resolution after repeatedly forgetting what I told her. When I finally forced her to come up with the answer herself, we couldn't help laughing.
       And for years, my parents have kept a list of names of movies and movie stars they tend to forget. Sometimes when I visit, nearly the first question they ask me is something like, "Who is that woman who was in that movie where ... happened? You know, the blonde one, but not Morgan Fairchild."
       Apparently, these types of lapses tends to begin in one's 40s and 50s, or sometimes earlier. It's disturbing, to say the least.
       Some people call them "senior moments".  I like to call them brain cramps.
       So for the month of October, I am going to try to do something about them. I am going to try to exercise my brain -- to make myself more mentally fit -- in the hope that I'll be better able to function without these cramps.
       Wish me...um...you know...luck!

4 comments:

Anne Randolph said...

This is a great blog. Wonderful pictures, humor, relevance.

Thanks for sharing it with me. I'll subscribe to your loop. Here is my blog http://blog.SoupKitchenWriting.com

And thanks for coming to my reading.
Anne Randolph http://www.WriteYourLifeStory.org

Anonymous said...

"Brain Cramps"! I love it!

This looks to be like a great resolution. At 52 I am really noticing these moments. Fortunately I come from a stock of people that love to do crossword & other word puzzles, play cards, & read. I can even recommend the games on the AARP website. LOL I've heard Suduku is a great puzzle too.

Glad to see you around again Brenda!

Pam

Top Dog said...

Thanks for sticking with me, Pam. I'm glad to be back. And I'll be sure to check out AARP's web site.

voncey said...

I hope you can pass on some tips on concentration. I don't know if it's age or the email/internet but I have completely lost the ability to focus and concentrate on any one thing for more than 10 seconds max!