4/21/2009

Craving Vegetables?

       Perhaps it was the fault of Chef Bayless and his lack of vegetables at two meals. But when Tom and I sat down to a late lunch at a more mundane diner the next day, something unexpected happened. 
       Despite my insistence that I would rather not eat them, I found that I was, in fact, eating vegetables with gusto -- heartily, enthusiastically, with passion. 
       I first scarfed down a salad, eating every last scrap of vegetable matter in my bowl. Then, I ate each bite of the carrots and green beans served with my entree, even pushing Tom's hand away when he tried to snag one of my carrots. 
       Later, at the airport lounge, where SunChips and granola bars and even KitKat bars were all available (for free) in copious quantities, I instead filled a plate with carrot and celery sticks. 
       I don't know what came over me, but once again, I devoured every one.
       Of course, I ate a KitKat bar too (I love KitKats, after all), but only after I had gorged on the vegetables. 
       It seems that in less than three weeks, I have developed something of a need for vegetables. Some may even call it a craving.
       Is that possible?

       By the way, has anyone else noticed that the little cartoon vegetables to the right (under my Resolution of the Month heading) all seem to have evil smiles on their round, satisfied faces? I used to think they looked innocent -- even friendly. But now that I'm addicted, I realize I was seeing them incorrectly.  
       Maybe my friends and loved ones should start planning an intervention.

2 comments:

NPinsky said...

Now you know how I felt in Argentina. The only vegetables I saw there was iceberg lettuce with a sad looking tomato on top! When we finally found REAL veggies, I couldn't stop myself from eating mounds of them.

YLB said...

Here in Japan, surprisingly, vegetables are not eaten in large quantities. Yes, there are small servings of pickled vegetables, natto and sweet potato, grated cabbage, but large servings of vegetables are rarely served. Of course you can have steamed edamame washed down with beer, but few salads. Add the lack of fiber with lots of rice, and you have a national problem of constipation.