4/06/2009

Do Lentils Count?

       Pam, a frequent commenter to this site, posted two lentil recipes last week and I decided to try one of them for lunch today. But before I could start, I found myself pondering whether lentils were even vegetables at all.
       I did some quick internet research, and discovered the following: that if you look for facts on the internet, even for a few minutes, you can easily find conflicting information, even on a topic as obscure as the vegetable-ness of lentils. 
       Sure, some web sites listed lentils as a vegetable. Others said they are fruit. And others insisted lentils are legumes. Based on what I remember from biology class decades ago, I admit they probably are legumes. So does that count as a vegetable for the purpose of my Resolution of the Month?
       Apparently peas are legumes, and I have always thought of them as vegetables. And what about lima beans? Aren’t they legumes too? I hate lima beans, and recall they (and peas) were always part of the canned Campbell’s "Vegetarian Vegetable" Soup I ate as a kid. I point that out simply to draw attention to the fact that it wasn’t called Campbell’s Vegetarian Legume Soup.
       Despite my uncertainty, I decided to try Pam’s recipe for Little Black Dress Lentils (for recipe, click on "comments" under April 2 posting). One of the good things about this recipe is that it also includes onions, carrots, peppers and corn, which definitely are vegetables – except for corn, which actually is probably a grain, even though corn was in the Campbell’s soup tin too. And, now that I think of it, I suppose that peppers are really a fruit. Hmmmm....
       In any case, I happened to have almost all the ingredients in my cupboards, so I proceeded. I used balsamic vinegar though, instead of sherry vinegar, and canned corn instead of frozen. And, since I was hoping the lentil salad would be my lunch, I also added some feta cheese.
       And I have to give Pam credit. The salad was terrific, and beautiful to look at too -- with the colors of the cheese, vegetables (and grains and fruits) contrasting with the darkness of the lentils. I ate around 1/3 of it, and to my surprise, felt completely satisfied with that as a meal. And certain that the salad would be great tomorrow too (and perhaps even better), I put the rest of it in the refrigerator for another day. 
       Frankly, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since then -- either because it was that good, or because I am, after all, on a diet.
       And I figure that whether the various ingredients were (strictly speaking) vegetables, fruits, legumes or grains, I had had a lunch more healthy than what I ordinarily would have eaten, and a meal I would happily eat again. And that is what is important.


Commenters: Please continue sending in your ideas. They seem to be working!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) Glad you liked it! Sure, lentils are as much a vegetable as a tomato is . . . but it is plant-based, an excellent source of protein, & legumes are good for you. What I like about this recipe is you can really play with it and add what ever veggie you'd like to try. A very similar recipe is a black-eyed pea salad

Cook a box of frozen black eyed peas, add to a bowl with
a couple finely chopped roma tomatoes, a diced green or red pepper, finely chopped green onions
(the veggies get very bright colored and pretty!) toss with a vinaigrette (like the lentils) and serve warm, chilled or room temp. serve as a side dish or add a crusty roll and glass of wine for a tasty lunch or light supper.


Pam

Anonymous said...

Was looking for what to fix for dinner, found this and thought of you. To me this sounds yummy, your mileage may vary! Pam

Saffron Roasted Cauliflower:

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2008/12/saffron_roasted_cauliflower.php

Top Dog said...

I'm not sure I'm ready for cauliflower yet, but the web site the recipe is on looks great. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Cauliflower is a true challenge. If you can make it taste good cooked, then you have succeeded.
I have nothing against raw cauliflower (dipped in ranch dressing) or pickled cauliflower, but I have never been able to do anything with cooked cauliflower. I've made some funky curries as a result of adding cauliflower. Good luck