4/01/2009

Vegetables Are Yucky!

        Like many four-year-olds, I have an issue with vegetables. You’d think I might have grown out of it by now, but that simply is not the case. Sure, I eat green salads occasionally, but that can get a bit repetitive. I also consume foods with a lot of vegetables in them: vegetable soup, a chunky tomato sauce, vegetable stew. I even drink V-8 sometimes, in a lazy attempt to have a minimal number of vegetable servings a day.
       But the thought of eating vegetables as a side dish turns me off. Steamed broccoli, carrots or beans, even sprinkled with nuts or glazed with maple syrup, are still, simply… yucky! Sure, I’ll eat a bite or two if they’re put on my plate, but since I do most of the cooking around here, that doesn’t happen a lot.
       A few years ago, I put Tom in charge of my vegetable consumption. He was to pester me until I ate a suitable amount. You can imagine how well that turned out. At least our marriage survived.
       Then, last week, I had an idea. We were in New York City for a few days, and had dinner one night at Café Fiorello, across from Lincoln Center.
This restaurant has an impressive antipasto bar – a vast and colorful array of dishes like caponata, caramelized fennel, cauliflower Milanese, Tuscan white bean salad, and so on. I didn’t eat any of it, of course, choosing a giant fried cheese ravioli as my appetizer instead. Indeed, anything covered or stuffed with cheese wins my vote, every time. But my point is that the dishes at the antipasto bar looked good enough to eat!
       So here is my resolution for the month – to learn how to prepare vegetable dishes that I might actually enjoy eating.
       Now that my home is cleaner (and greener), and my posture is better, it’s time to listen to Mom again and “eat my vegetables”. But at the age of 45, I’ll do it my way.
       I’ll welcome any input, suggestions or recipes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My momma always told me "you've got to develop a taste for this". When I took a nutrition class we were told that it's the development of specific enzymes that make a taste "palatable". Our instructor also said it took 2-3 weeks to develop those enzymes. My suggestions would be to pick one or two veggies that you think you might have success with and take baby steps. If you were to pick carrots you would start by grating carrots into a meatloaf or burger, a soup or chili and then taking some grated carrots and putting them on sandwich or wrap. Juicing is a great way to get veggies into your diet too, especially when mixed with fruit because you taste the fruit and not the veggies (again carrots are great,they have a higher glycemic value = taste sweeter) Try some at a juice bar before investing in a juicer. Along that same line, think about fruity salsas, they have veggies, but the taste of mango, peach, pineapple or berries (whatever you pick) will be a more dominant taste. Good luck! Pam

NPinsky said...

You can do a lot of things with veggies AND cheese, thereby masking the yucky veggie flavor with yummy Gruyere, Swiss, cheddar, etc.

Anonymous said...

Now that the grilling season is starting, you can always toss some vegetables on the grill when you cook the steaks or chicken. I've always used aluminum foil, but I'm getting a grill basket for this season. A little olive oil and some seasoning -- nothing tastes better. I also had a nutritionist tell me to eat some amount of vegetables (no matter how small) before I ate anything else. For example, before eating the Reese's peanut butter cup, eat a couple of baby carrots. So try that. The next time you and I are out to lunch or dinner, I'll remind you to order a side salad or something else veggie-like. Can't wait to see how the month progresses!

Karen

voncey said...

I agree with Nicole - just add cheese! I have a really hard time getting all the recommended servings of vegetables. I usually end up eating them like vitamins --downing a few some baby carrots or lettuce while I'm cooking my real dinner. Looking forward to some good suggestions!

YLB said...

Grilling.
I am an avowed vegephobic. Try asparagus drizzled with olive oil and fresh garlic, kosher salt and pepper and grill them on the BBQ.