3/31/2009

Feeling More Blue Than Green

       My resolution this month made me irritated. Sure, I made some changes and improvements. I will keep on using less toilet paper. I will continue to buy large sizes of manufactured products, to save on packaging and transportation expenses. I will continue to try to do without bags at stores. I will keep my compact fluorescent bulbs in my lamps, and I will dispose of them properly when the time comes. I will start to turn out lights again, the way we did back in the 70s, when we were all reeling from an energy shortage. (Whatever happened to that, by the way? Did we stop caring about waste when energy became plentiful again?)
       But at the same time, so much of being green seems like the newest fad, with everyone claiming to be doing something. Companies professing to be eco-conscious are perhaps simply trying to make more money off consumers who care. Ideas are suggested which, in some cases, range from stupid to simply symbolic. Ineffective products are created and sold and ultimately, may turn frustrated consumers away.
       Even worse, I can’t help but wonder if individuals are being co-opted into making these tiny personal changes when corporations continue to strain the environment? Is the green movement, at the consumer level at least, largely a grand diversion?
       I’ll continue to do my part after this month ends, in the hope it serves some small purpose. And I’ll continue searching for new ideas and effective solutions.
       But I don’t feel that good about it. In fact, I feel almost polluted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two recommendations: watch the video at www.storyofstuff.com/ & read "Hot, Flat, & Crowded" by Thomas Friedman. I thought of recommending these early in your month, but you seemed so focus on the toilet paper stuff. ;-) You are right, being green, and what we need to do is on a much larger scale than changing a couple light bulbs and discussing t.p. It's governments and corporations and consumerism. But it's also about changing mindsets, sure it's "faddy", there are no 101 easy ways to go green, but if we don't do something soon we are in a boat load of trouble. Keep it up sister, you're having epiphanies every month and that's what I love about your resolution project!!!! So . . . what's this month? I can hardly wait!

Pam

Dad said...

Mom and I were listening to a program on the radio about "green" cars, which promise a reduction in carbon emissions. However, one of the commentators indicated that the amount of carbon emission produced in the manufacture of one of these automobiles exceeds any reduction in emissions which might result from the replacement of one's current auto with a "green" one -- and additionally -- that cars should be kept for nineteen years in order to reduce the emissions produced in their manufacture -- more bad news for the auto industry! The only real solution, he said, was public transit and/or bicycles! I'm trying to do my part. Our car is 13 years old...so far.

YLB said...

Finally, a company comes up with a green car, and of all companies, it is Chrysler. The Chrysler Nextport is the first zero-tailpipe emissions car manufactured by the US auto company. According to company spokesman Bart Trenbley, Chrysler engineers have beaten the competition.

"By eliminating the tailpipe, our engineers have developed a technology that can cheaply be applied to our entire fleet, thus converting even our 300M to a zero-tailpipe emissions vehicle.