3/20/2009

Another Arf-ul idea

       I was glancing through David de Rothschild's "Global Warming Survival Handbook" and discovered another really bad idea for being green with one's dog.  
       He says that since paper can be recycled only 3 - 5 times before the pulp breaks down, recycling is just a way to delay paper's ultimate trip to the landfill. So, in an attempt to think of alternate ways to get more out of old newspapers, he came up with  this doozy -- using newspaper to pick up dog poop deposited by your dog.  
       This is a sure sign that de Rothschild has never picked up dog poop in his life. Perhaps one of the benefits of being a multi-millionaire adventurer is that your servants pick up the poop.  
       As much as I love her, I can think of only a couple of ways I would use newspaper to pick up Olympia's deposits.  One way would be to wear a plastic bag on my hand to attempt to pick up the poop. Then, assuming I was able to actually pick up anything, I'd have to have a second plastic bag on hand in which to immediately deposit both the poopy paper and the plastic bag I was using as a glove. That means I'd need two plastic bags per deposit, rather than the one I currently use. 
       The second way would require a lot of newspaper.  I could use the entire classified ads section to pick up each poop, using the sports section and the business section together to first sweep the poop into the pile of paper. And then to be sure my prize doesn't...um...soak through in my hand, I could then wrap all three sections in more newspaper. And to make sure nothing spills out, I could then apply a bunch of duct tape to keep it closed. And then I could put the whole package in a really big plastic bag before depositing it in the trash.
       Either way, it doesn't seem like a good move for the environment. 

No comments: