3/23/2009

Paying Attention

       Sometimes, we just don't pay attention. We hear or see something so many times that we don't even notice anymore. And then, one day, it may suddenly break through our consciousness. That's what happened to me the other day when I was shopping and the cashier asked me "Do you want a bag for that?"
       In the past, I have always wanted a bag "for that". Isn't that an integral part of the whole shopping experience? You buy something and to demonstrate that it now belongs to you, it is placed in a bag and handed to you. Is that not part of the triumph of shopping?
       But because I am trying to turn green this month, I found myself stammering, "Uh...uh...uh...I guess not." And I walked out of Petsmart carrying a bag of dog treats in my hand. I placed it in my car, unbagged, and it seemed okay somehow. Next, I went to a mall to pick up a box of contact lenses Tom had ordered, and the person at the desk asked, "Do you want a bag for that?" I looked at my purse, which while not huge, looked like it would hold the lenses, and again I replied, "I guess not."
       Then I went to a clothing store, where the only thing I wanted was a plain white T-shirt. When the cashier started to put it in a bag, I told her I didn't need one, because I was trying to go green. "That's cool," she said, handing me the shirt. And I did feel cool, until I started to feel nervous about walking out of a store with a white T-shirt grasped in my hand. I was waiting to be accosted by a store security guard, but it didn't happen.
       When I got to my car, I had to find somewhere clean to place the T-shirt, which was a bit difficult since I haven't applied any of Martha Stewart's advice to my car interior. But the shirt made it home relatively clean and unscathed.
       And I was amazed that I had avoided accepting three bags in such a short time. And somehow I still not only owned the items, I also hadn't been arrested.
       I even felt a little good about it...for a few mintues. And then I realized that these same cashiers, or cashiers like them, had been asking me, perhaps for years, if I wanted bags with my purchases. And for the first day, I had given an environmentally-appropriate response. It's hardly something to be proud of.
       And when I think about it now, I have consistently ignored other green suggestions. For instance, cards placed in hotel rooms say that in order to save water and detergent and labor and power, the hotel proposes to not change my sheets every day, unless I place the card on my bed to signify otherwise. And I often do place that card because isn't a fresh, perfectly-made bed part of what I'm paying for? Well...no more. The hotels make these suggestions to try to be greener, and from now on, I'm taking them up on it.
       And what about ATM machines that ask if I want a receipt? I always press the "yes" button. That way, not only do I have proof of my transaction if I don't lose or misplace the slip, I also have some paper to add to my home clutter. How much paper could be saved by simply answering "no" to receipts instead of yes?
       I'm going to pay closer attention now to these suggestions. They are being made for a reason. And it's time for me to respond reasonably...and greenly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For years in many European countries they make consumers pay for bags and I've read that some American cities are considering the same.

Top Dog said...

A friend sent me some information saying that if everyone if the U.S. refused ATM receipts, it would save enough paper to circle the equator fifteen times. I'm not sure that statistic has enough information to be verifiable (for example, for how long would this refusal have to be continued? How wide would this equator-encircling paper be?). But all the same, it is interesting...

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS BLOG! What a topic...I find it hard when I go out to eat and use a take-home container. At one point I kept some of my tupperware in the car in the event I had leftovers. But, somehow I felt that might be kind of displeasing to the restaurant I was visiting-especially if it wasn't one of my finer pieces of tupps. Oftentimes, I'll ask for a piece of aluminum foil instead. I can't imagine using styrofoam! I'm disgusted when they say they have nothing other than the styro...If I have a lot of food left from my dinner...what is worse-leaving it behind or using the styrofoam container? I usually use the styro intent on rinsing it and re-using it, but that never happens. Ahh....well...I try!

Anonymous said...

My grocery store will deduct 2 cents from your bill for every bag you provide for your purchases. It shares the benefit.