3/17/2009

Counting Sheets

       A regular follower of this blog suggested (see Comments to "Viva My Viva" posting) that she has made so many tree-saving choices in her home that she simply accepts the use of non-recycled toilet paper. She, for instance, uses cloth handkerchiefs and napkins, and knits her own dishcloths. She wrote: "It's been a fun adventure seeing how little changes have resulted in big savings, less waste, and less effort. Plus I have loads more storage space because I don't have shelves full of paper towels, napkins, & tissues!"
       I have the greatest admiration for her, and thank her for her participation in this blog.  Sadly, I’m not sure I’ll ever go as far as she does – not only because the idea of washing snotty handkerchiefs makes me gag (sorry!), but also because knitting has consistently turned out to be far beyond my abilities.
       I do have one other way, however, to be more green while still using my Charmin. I have started to count the sheets of toilet paper I’m using, to be sure I’m not over-extending
       Previously, I had a laissez-faire approach to toilet paper use – taking whatever number of sheets unrolled when I reached over for the toilet paper. I’m sure I used six or seven sheets at a time -- or even more. When I think back on it, I recall that sometimes I wouldn’t even (ahem...) engage all the sheets I took off, and simply tossed a superfluous four or five sheets into the toilet -- the unused inches fluttering in as if part of a ticker-tape parade.  
       But now that I’m forcing myself to be more aware, I’m down to three or four sheets per reach -- saving trees, in a way, with every wipe.
       According to the President of Toilet Paper World, this is one of the advantages of a toilet paper like Charmin. “You can save money because you can use far less..." he said.  Saving money and the environment sounds even better to me.
       It’s not the one-sheet per visit limitation proposed (jokingly, I hope) by Sheryl Crow in 2007.
       But I do think of it as being a real contribution to being green, while still being clean. (Comedians, commentators and bloggers had a ball with Crow's suggestion, even warning not to shake hands with her.) 
       And I expect that before long, my new shorter grab will become a habit. Readers, try it yourself, and maybe we all can help, at least one or two sheets at a time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to wiping oneself, one should never compromise.

Dad said...

There are SO many ways to cut down on wastage of toilet tissue -- like, for instance, peeling the two plies apart, or using both sides! I wouldn't recommend either!