3/02/2009

Turning Green

       It's another new month, and time for another new resolution. So for the month of March, I resolve to turn green. The easy way to do this might be to simply eat some tapioca pudding and then ride a Tilt-A-Whirl.  
       But since I have a whole month,  I am planning to do it the hard way. I have resolved to do more -- in my own life and my own household -- to take better care of the environment.
       Frankly, I feel a bit unenthusiastic about this proposal. Indeed, I have been actively resisting it for some time -- not because I don't care about the environment -- but because I often try to avoid overly "trendy" things. And green is definitely the in color of the times.
       Despite my lack of greenthusiasm, I already do some typically green things.  For example, I have recycled for many years -- even before it was required by law.  I try not to buy goods that come in excessive packaging.  I use bio-degradable bags to pick up Olympia's dog poop.  But I do all of this casually -- simply because it seems the right thing to do. In other words, I do it without a true commitment to saving the planet.
       For the coming month, I am going to do more.  I am going to involve green thinking in as much of my life as possible.  I am going to seek out advice, do my research and work harder to insert green choices into my life and my household. I am going to consider reasons, results, costs and consequences.  As I  have done for the last two months, I want to try to determine what seems right and good and appropriate for my life --and what might simply seem silly, misguided or just plain annoying.
       And any advice or input from readers will truly be appreciated -- especially on the topics that will truly touch me deeply... For instance, what brand of horrific recycled toilet paper should I use???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turn off your computer when you are finished rather than let it idle.

Anonymous said...

Last summer I spent a month or two conscientiously turning off and unplugging all my electronic equipment and appliances (except the fridge and stove!)every night before bed. I wanted to save some money (and the planet of course), but it was such a hassle! Instead of simply shutting down my computer, which I did regularly anyway, I also turned off the power bar to the computer and modem. However, when I turned the power back on in the morning, I would have to reset the clock on my vintage computer. Something similar happened with the tv. If I turned off the power to the tv and the digital cable box, I would have to reset all the channels the next morning! The $2 or less I saved on my power bill was not worth the hassle. So now I just turn everything off when I go on vacation or will be away for more than a day or two.

Anonymous said...

The recycled toilet paper is truly awful as is the recycled paper towels. I tried, with a positive attitude, to keep using those products but bailed out quickly on that experiment.
One suggestion, subscribe to www.idealbite.com - it's a great (sometimes zany) newsletter that delivers advice on implementing more green into your life. They have local versions too which is cool. It features local companies (restaurants, manufacturers, service providers) that are doing great things to help push the green movement.