5/05/2009

A Favorite Event

       Despite my general disinterest in active participation with nature, I do notice (and appreciate) some aspects of the natural world around me.  
       We have had some lovely summery weather here. The crocuses and daffodils bloomed long ago. The herbs in the garden of our condo complex are already plentiful.  But I have been waiting impatiently for one particular Spring event. 
       Although it no doubt has been happening for eons, I first noticed it a couple of years ago, and it has delighted me every year since then. And because I have been traveling quite a bit recently, I even worried that this Spring occurrence, which lasts only a day or two, would happen while I was away.
       But it started yesterday, and I was here to see it...
       Many of the trees in our neighborhood have remained bare through our otherwise lovely Spring. For weeks, I have looked at and worried over the naked branches. Perhaps it is simply because my vision has become worse over the last year, but  I could see only hard-looking brownish balls where the leaves should be. I feared that the trees had been stricken by disease.   
       But yesterday, several of the trees suddenly woke with a slight green, nearly fuzzy-looking glow. Although the branches were still bare, I knew that something was about to happen. 
       And today, only one day later, the baby leaves are starting to emerge. By tomorrow or the next day, the naked winter branches will be covered with new bright green growth. 
       It wouldn't be like to me to wax poetic about it, but it is clearly a sign of re-birth and change...and certainly an indication of the consistent power of nature.
       Readers: Do you have a favorite nature occurrence like this?  Please post your replies. Perhaps we can learn to better see such moments through each other's eyes...

9 comments:

voncey said...

I live in Washington, DC and my favourite time of the year is definitely spring. The famous cherry blossoms are beautiful, but the tulip magnolias are what I most look forward to in spring. They come early, like the cherry blossoms and are so beautiful. Check them out here:
http://dcpages.com/gallery/d/37358-2/DSC00036.jpg

Top Dog said...

Wow! Those are really beautiful! How could anyone not love them?

Anonymous said...

My favorite sign of spring is the we get to see the emergence of cleavage again after a long and brutal winter.

Cleavage is on the great true miracles of nature and a harbinger of optimism, life and hope.

Top Dog said...

Thanks, Anonymous, for your profound input. Well, I guess cleavage is part of nature too...at least in some cases.

Anonymous said...

Cherry & Apple Orchards in spring time, Dogwoods & azaleas blooming in the Smoky Mountains, Lilacs on a 100 yr. old bush, the sound of mourning doves & robins after a long winter, the smell of honeysuckle and lilac wafting through windows . . . some of my favorite things!

Enjoy this month!

Pam

Top Dog said...

You sound like a true nature-lover, Pam! Once again, you're steps ahead of me. If you have any advice or ideas for me along the way, please don't hesitate to post.

voncey said...

Growing up in Canada, lilacs were my favourite part of summer. Our neighbo(u)r had lilac bushes that grew all along our driveway and the smell was wonderful. When I see lilacs now, I still think of home.

NPinsky said...

Having lived in California all my life, when I moved to Colorado 3 years ago, I was overwhelmed by all of the changes each season brings. But, above all, the most exciting for me is watching the new goslings emerge each Spring on the shores of the lake at the nearby park. They appear so awkward and fuzzy the first few days, then like magic - grow into these beautiful Canadian geese (they love to hang out in Denver all season because of our mild winters). Just yesterday, I spotted a few more newcomers.

WLB said...

This year I attenede my first cherry blossom celebration in Tokyo. Although many will envision the Japanese sitting quietly, enjoying nature and the beauty of the trees, it is in fact a big drinking fest at which the thousands of attendees consume copious quantities of beer (almost conehead-like) and party late into the night.

It gives new meaning to "drinking-in" natural beauty.