5/13/2009

Getting Out

       Yesterday afternoon, a friend came over. I made some sangria, and she suggested taking it down to enjoy in the central courtyard of my condo complex. So we took our wine glasses, and Olympia, and went into the courtyard. A neighbor, spotting us, came down with her own glass of wine and dog. And the three of us (and two dogs) passed a delightful couple of hours under the trees in the sun-dappled courtyard.
       This morning, on the phone, I mentioned to my mother how I had spent the previous afternoon. And she said, “So you finally used the courtyard for the purpose for which it was intended!”
       Is that what it’s for? The courtyard was created so that residents could enjoy spending some time outdoors?
       I must admit, I hadn't really considered that. I guess I had mostly considered it something pretty to look at – from my windows, or while walking through on my way elsewhere. 
       Indeed, the couple of hours outside yesterday afternoon was the longest period of time I had used the shared condo property since we moved here six years ago. It may even have been a longer use than all the previous times I had been out there, added together.
       I think yesterday may be part of what this whole "enjoying nature" thing is about. And when I think about it further, there probably is a whole world of pleasant places to sit – out there, somewhere...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
This post really made me smile. I hope you spend the rest of your life enjoying all the lovely little spots this world has to offer.

Pam

Top Dog said...

Thanks, Pam. Your reply made ME smile!

NPinsky said...

Brenda,
Once our backyard is decent, you and Tom can come and enjoy a warm summer evening outdoors with us!