5/06/2009

Some Kind of Joke?

       Two days ago, while at a Target store, I purchased a tiny "grow-kit", which contains a two-inch-high pot, a soil pellet and some zinnia seeds. I bought it because we have no plants at all in our home, and I thought it might be a useful exercise to try to actually grow a flower during my nature month.
       Then, yesterday afternoon, a friendly neighbor called to say he knew of someone who was moving and wanted to dispose of a 12-foot ficus benjamina tree. He said an indoor tree of that size is rather rare and as we have high ceilings, our home might suit it. When I hesitated for a moment, he said that if I want the tree, I really have to come get it right away. So I went with him (just to see it, mind you) and with the help of two additional neighbors, a cart and a ladder, we installed it in our library.
       Have I made clear that the tree is 12 feet tall? That’s T-W-E-L-V-E feet tall. And it’s nearly FIVE feet wide.
       It is, obviously, quite a bit bigger than the single zinnia I was hoping to grow in a two-inch pot.
       Is this some kind of joke of Nature? The bird calls from a couple of days ago didn’t win me over, so now I have to deal with a giant tree in my home?
       Admittedly, I do kind of like it. While sitting on the loveseat in our library, I now get a leafy, outdoorsy feel that’s rather nice, and almost mysterious. It is like a secret tree house filled with books. What could be better than that? And this way, I can enjoy part of nature without actually leaving our home!
       The bigger problem is that Tom is out of town right now, and might not be thrilled with the new addition to our little family. He is even less into nature than I am.
       Wish me luck…

3 comments:

YLD said...

Did I understand the tree was "free?" And that they cost over $1,000? Tom will like it!

Tom said...

Brenda made me promise to wait a day or two before I gave my opinion on the "tree'"

I hate plants. Always have. And this one is the biggest indoor plant I have ever seen! It dominates the space and makes the place look like some kind of arboretum.

As George HW Bush once said about broccoli, "Don't like it. Won't eat it."

I am trying to be a big boy about this. Brenda says give it a few days, and I love her, so I will....

That said, I wish she'd stuck with a two inch Zinnia...

Truth be told, I hate Zinnias too, since my horrible 6th grade art teacher sent me to the principals' office after a big argument when I insisted on drawing Apollo/Soyuz rockets instead of Zinnias.

WLB said...

"FEEEEEeeed Me"


"FEEEEEeeed Me"

Don't get too close to the plant.