11/18/2009

Going Blond?

       I am writing this at the salon right now, as my hair color is processing. 
       I recently read a book about not looking your age, which suggested that most older women should color their hair a lighter shade. The book, rather annoyingly, is called "Staging Your Comeback: A Complete Beauty Revival for Women Over 45".  Since the book arrived from amazon.com the day I turned 46, it seemed appropriate.
       Anyway, the author told a story about a client who asked about coloring her salt-and-pepper hair only after attending a class reunion and realizing that she was the only woman there who wasn’t blond. The author confirmed that she too should have blond hair. 
       Personally, I found it a stupid story. As my mama used to say (or as she would have said if she was the kind of mama who said that sort of thing), “If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?”
       I think it’s silly to suggest that virtually all women should go blond – or that all women should look alike. 
       So I am coloring my hair its usual color – dark brown. It suits me. I am a dark hair kind of gal. And for the two weeks or so that my roots don’t start peeking out, I am pretty sure it will look good.
       Anyway…that’s what I wrote before I spoke to my colorist/stylist.

       Just as she was getting ready to rinse the color solution out of my hair, I told her what the author of the book had said about going lighter. 
       "Well…” she said slowly, “there is some truth to that. A lot of women should start going lighter as they age. Their skin gets lighter [is that true???], and a lighter hair color suits them better – although not necessarily all the way to blond."
       "Should I do that?” I asked her. 
       “Well, you are still so young-looking compared to your age, so it's not necessarily the right time,” she said. “I would tell you if I thought you were doing your hair the wrong color. But,” she continued, choosing her words carefully, “you could start with some lighter highlights around your face, maybe…uh…if you wanted…”
       “What?” I replied. “I thought you said I looked okay and still young-looking.” 
       She grinned, clearly excited the topic had come up.
       So, in the interests of this blog, and as part of my commitment to you, dear readers, I am giving it a try.
       I am sitting at the salon still -- now with foils all over my head -- wondering what will develop. (But that isn't me in the photo. I mean, really...)
       Meanwhile, the stylist still can’t stop grinning.

       To be continued…

3 comments:

NPinsky said...

Brenda, I have to say, I kinda agree with your stylist in regards to getting highlights around your face. I think it is a wonderful idea. Not that you need to look any younger than you do. I know (as one dark brown haired gal to another) that when I have highlights, I feel it adds a glow to my face. When my hair is monochromatic, I feel washed out and a bit dull. So enjoy the new look, I can't wait to see!

voncey said...

Good for you! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I've only had highlights once and the colorist put them all over my head. My hair ended up looking striped! I'm sure just around the face is much better!

POUKÉ said...

I found your blog by accident, mindlessly pressing the" next blog" button one day. I was instantly pulled in by your writing and found it easy , approchable, sensitive and articulate . Thanks for the midlife chronicle, it is refreshing and necessary. keep on posting !