11/12/2009

Taking Time - Part 2 (Because I'm Worth It)

       I am now trying to change my attitude about the value of time spent on my appearance....and I'm getting a few extra laughs out of my day as a result.
       It's easy to talk about changing attitudes, but not so easy to actually do it.  I mean, attitudes are often present for legitimate reasons. But sometimes physical changes can help change attitudes. Some say, for example, that simply the act of standing up straight with head held high can help one feel more positive.
       So I am trying the opposite when it comes to hair drying. I am forcing myself to sit down and relax while fiddling with my hair. Since I don't have a chair for my vanity table, I am simply sitting on the carpet in front of our mirrored closet door. And I am doing my best to make hair-drying into a sort of decadent -- even goofy -- break in my  day.
       When I find myself feeling impatient with my efforts, I have been reminding myself of the words from the classic L'Oreal campaign -- "Because I'm Worth It". 
       Although I'm not actually saying the words out loud, I am unable to think of them without a note of sarcasm. Affirmations of my value are not really my thing, especially when those affirmations are written by a Madison Avenue advertising firm. And I can't help remembering the goofy "Daily Affirmations" skits on Saturday Night Live, which (now Senator) Al Franken always ended by lisping "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"  
       Still, the words are helping me to slow down -- reminding me of my commitment to spend time on myself.  
       And they do make me grin.
       Now I have to start worrying about extra smile lines around my mouth and eyes.

1 comment:

voncey said...

So the lesson is that if you take the time to do your hair, you can become a Senator? ;)