6/05/2009

On My Own

       So...no one wants to join me on my quest!
       Well, it serves me right. 
       In fact, I was supposed to have read "War and Peace" with some friends earlier in the year. Tom and I had signed up, with another couple we know, for a four-session Continuing Education course on the book – spread over an eight-week period (to allow time for reading). 
       I dutifully read the first 294 pages as preparation for the first session. But right after that first class, I realized I was going to be out of town for the second and third session. So, you know, I figured I sort of had kind of an excuse for not keeping up. And by the fourth session, naturally, I was way too far behind to ever catch up.
       Now I admit I would never had tried to use such an explanation if I missed a few sessions of Grade Seven math, for example. Even at the age of 11, I was aware that missed classes meant I had a responsibility to catch up – even if I had to work extra hard to do it.
       But I’m an adult now and I had voluntarily signed up for the "War and Peace" class. Furthermore, it wasn't like there was going to be an exam or anything. So why stress about it? 
       Am I right, or am I right?
       Still, for some reason, I do still feel sort of a commitment to finish it. I may even feel a teeny tiny sense of guilt.          
       In case you’re wondering, however, none of the other three who signed up for the course with me finished it either. The husband of the other couple listened to the book on CD, which would be okay, except that it was an abridged version. His wife, my good friend, read about 3/4 of the book, but then also switched over to the abridged recorded version. 
       And my over-worked Tom didn’t get very far at all. Although we had bought twin copies of the book so that we wouldn’t have to fight over the privilege of reading it, business obligations meant that Tom ended up missing all four classes. He never got further into his copy than page xii of the introduction.
       Hey! Now that I think of it, perhaps that can actually serve as a further enticement to you. If any of you now wish to change your mind about joining me, I have Tom’s nearly untouched copy available for your reading pleasure. 
       You won't even have to give it back.

4 comments:

voncey said...

Yeah, um, no thanks.

But I will think of you with admiration while sitting at home wallowing in summer reality tv.:-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so maybe I didn't read the entire book before the end of the class, but I will finish it some day. As a matter of fact, I will join you this month in your endeavor. I promise to finish reading War and Peace, even though I already know how it ends.

YLB said...

How about getting the "Coles Notes" version, or a copy of "War and Peace for Idiots"?

Top Dog said...

But that would defeat the purpose, YLB. I actually already have a one-page comic version of War and Peace, but I'm trying to make it through the real thing. I'll post the comic at some point this month though. And in the U.S., they call them "Sparks Notes", I think.