6/07/2009

Peace and War

       As I’ve been slogging my way through "War and Peace", I have noticed a little something that shouldn’t be that surprising given the title of the book.
       This is a book about both war and peace.  
       The peace parts read like a Jane Austen novel, with detailed descriptions of clothing, conversation and inane or interesting social interactions. The war parts describe formations, battles, petitions and parades in similar detail.
       This duality poses something of a challenge.
       The problem is that, so far at least, these two facets of the book remain quite distinct. Just as I find myself engaged in one aspect of the book -- caring even for a moment about a character's unhappy marriage or the outcome of a poorly-planned battle -- the book switches gears. Abruptly, the story of that marriage or battle is simply wrapped up and dropped into an authorial oblivion. I suddenly have to work to become engaged again in an entirely different matter.
       And I find myself wondering if there are many people (or any people) who would enjoy or benefit from both parts of the book equally. I will not apologize for carefully reading the social interaction parts, but occasionally skimming the chapters filled with the minutiae of war. I just don't care that much about terrain, fog thickness and the success (or lack thereof) of repeated canister shots.  At the same time, I’m sure there are readers who would prefer that to descriptions of dinner parties and décor. 
       Because "War and Peace" is a so-called great book, I can't help but hope there is a point to this duality and that some over-arching theme that embraces both aspects of the book will later become apparent.
       At the same time, I can’t help but wonder if "War and Peace" would ever get past the desk of a modern-day book agent or editor, who would demand to know what the book is about and who the target audience is.

1 comment:

voncey said...

I think you're right that War and Peace wouldn't do well with modern day publishers. In fact, a few years ago, a Jane Austen fan sent the first chapters of three of her books (including Pride and Prejudice) to British publishers and was rejected by or never heard from most. Only ONE recognized that the submissions were actually Austen classics! http://artsandpalaver.blogspot.com/2007/07/hype-over-jane-austen-hoax-are-interns.html And these are books that have been made into successful movies. Poor old Tolstoy wouldn't stand a chance!