6/14/2009

Other Fabulous Books

       Like some of you, I was gratified to see some of my all-time favorite books on the Strand list.
       One book, in particular, still sticks with me today: John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany".
       I remember being on a beach one day, nearly 25 years ago – in Spain or Portugal, I think – and finishing that book. I remember it because when I completed the final page, I started to cry.
       I cried not because the story was sad (although it was), but simply because the book was over. I had become so involved in the lives of the characters and the richness of the plot that I felt a loss – an emptiness – when I suddenly realized it was gone. I cried too because I felt certain that I would never be able to write as well as John Irving does, although I still continue to try my best.

       I agree, however, that other fabulous books seem to be missing from the Strand list.
       As Liz pointed out, Rohinton Mistry's "A Fine Balance" should surely be there. I remember also being profoundly affected by "Trinity" by Leon Uris. Recommended by my father as a book my older brothers and I could discuss in our eventual medical school interviews (not that I ever applied to med school), it was, at the age of 14 or 15, one of the first truly "important" books I had read. And what about E.L. Doctorow's "World's Fair"? I loved that book!

       Readers: are there other books that you think should have made the list?  For Tom's profound input on this question, see his comment on my last posting, dated June 11.

No comments: