2/06/2009

An Easier Route to Fitness

       I did my Core Program exercises in under 18 minutes today, and while it wasn't perfectly easy, I am getting the hang of it.  I can see that by the end of the month, I might actually be in the habit of doing it daily.
       But there are other routes to fitness, and some are even easier --  and relaxing too!  Indeed, recent studies suggest that sleep is a key to fitness.  A study of athletes at Stanford University found that athletes performed better after getting extra sleep.  And an article in Shape magazine reported on a University of Chicago study which found that people who don't get enough sleep tend to eat more carb-laden snack food than those who sleep for eight and a half hours.  Shape concluded that "being tired makes you fat".
       I haven't had eight and a half hours of sleep in one night for a long time. And to be honest, I woke up today feeling very well-rested.  Maybe this is part of the "relief from fatigue" that Peggy Brill promises in her book. But as I am truly committed to being fit this month, I really must do more. So, well-rested or not, I think it's time for nap. I'm sure I'll feel much more fit when I wake.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although my post-doc work was on the effect of exercise on metabolism, I have been a committed couch potato. I subscribe to the "limited heartbeat" theory. The hypothesis is that God only gave you so many heartbeats before you die, so why waste them by jogging or exercising.

Top Dog said...

That is absolutely brilliant, YLB! If my resolution doesn't work out for me this month, I'll use your "limited heartbeat" theory as my excuse for never exercising again.