2/05/2009

A Furry Exercise Partner

       Last month, I wrote about the challenge of shredding documents with our over-sensitive dog in the house. 
       I have long suspected that exercise at home might also be a challenge with Olympia around.  At a silent auction a few years ago, I won the right to serve as "guest conductor" for a local symphony. When I tried to prepare at home for my conducting debut, by playing a CD of the "The Stars and Stripes Forever" while waving a baton, Olympia went nuts every time -- barking, jumping up and down, and not even trying to stay in pace with the music.  I have always assumed that she would do the same if I ever tried to do an exercise or dance DVD at home, providing me with a handy excuse for not doing it.
       The Core Program exercises seemed low-key enough, however, that I though Olympia would not be bothered. Indeed, for the last few days, she has simply lay near my head as I exercised, whimpering occasionally -- likely in response to my not-too-subtle grunts.  
       But today, she decided to join in.  When I was lying on my stomach, and raised up my head and chest to do the "Cobra" move, she suddenly moved on to the exercise mat and lay down where my head and chest had been a moment before.  As I lowered myself, I gently rested on her fur and then lifted myself up again. When I did leg lifts, while lying on my back, she speedily moved to the end of the mat where my feet had been, so that when I lowered my legs, I lowered them again on to her soft fur.  She did not make a sound, or whimper, or move about. She seemed to just want to be in the middle of things. And for me, it was delightful, silly and exceedingly soft.  
       I'm not sure it was quality exercise, but it certainly made the time go faster -- just proving the point that exercise can indeed be more pleasant with a partner.

Tomorrow: Sleeping is important too!

No comments: