2/16/2009

It Isn't Fair! Or Maybe it is...

       Tom took me to the theatre for Valentine's Day. It was nice and a little romantic, and a lovely performance. But I could feel myself slouching and twisting in my uncomfortable seat, and about an hour after we got home, I started having low back pain.  It didn't seem fair, since all the exercises I have been doing are designed to strengthen my core.  Surely my spine should be strong, tough and rugged by now -- a sort of Ford Truck, rather than a fragile Fiat.
       But then again, it was only February 14, which meant I had been doing my exercises for only two weeks. And to be honest, I think I skipped the first day, and I definitely hadn't done anything -- even the shapeup shoes -- on Valentine's Day morning. So maybe I had done my 15-minute workout for a total of 12 days.  Putting all those workouts together, I had put in a grand total of three hours on my core this month, and nothing the month before or the month before or the month before, or indeed, even the year before.
       I suppose it isn't fair to expect to be fit already. Certainly many others put in much more time than that, and over a much longer period.  
       This morning, after spending much of yesterday flat on my back, I found myself craving some of the stretching exercises in Peggy Brill's program, and put myself through a few of them.  
       And tomorrow, I'll get back on my routine, and see it through until the end of the month -- and hopefully beyond. I may not ever be ready to run a marathon, but that's okay with me. I'd way rather drive the 26 miles in air-conditioned comfort than ever put my body through something like that.
       But I would at least like to be able to go to the theatre in the future, and get something more profound or pleasing out of it than, "Oh, my aching back."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your geisha shoes are throwing you out of alignment and putting too much strain on your lower back? Good job with the stretching. You should keep up with the stretches even after your month of fitness ends.