2/01/2009

Getting Fit - Starting Tomorrow

       Over the last few days, Tom approached me a few times to express his concern. "The end of the month is coming," he pointed out. "Does that mean you're going to stop doing the Martha stuff?" Like me, Tom has become a convert to Marthaism -- not that he's doing much differently. But he can see the change in our home, and in particular, the change in how I am staying on top of what might formerly have become clutter.
       So let me make my plans clear. One of the main goals of this Midlife Resolutions Project is to try new things or experiences and see what works for me -- what I like, or what seems to improve my life. In January, I learned some useful "homekeeping" lessons from Martha Stewart, and there's no point in un-learning these and going back to how I was doing things before. I may not continue to do everything, however. For example, I suspect that making the bed first thing in the morning might quickly fall by the wayside. Despite its benefits, it has already started annoying me.
       And now that it is February, it's time to start a new resolution. Since it's a short month, it seemed like the perfect time to take on something I dread -- exercise.
       I have tried to work out in the past. I have paid for nearly abandoned gym memberships. I once bought a home treadmill that soon became simply a $700 clothes-drying rack. I currently have some smaller home equipment -- ankle weights, an inflatable exercise ball, a floor mat -- all unopened and in its original packaging. I also have DVDs, books and all the best intentions. What I have lacked is commitment. I simply haven't stuck with anything.
       So for February, I am going to try a new approach to getting fit. I want to make it so easy that it's nearly impossible to not do it. With the help of some new books, and a few gadgets, I am going to try to get in shape with only 15 minutes a day of concentrated effort.
       To help me start, I have purchased another new book. Peggy Brill's "The Core Program" claims to be the "15 Minutes a Day That Can Change Your Life". On the cover, it also adds, "Now Every Woman Can Feel Her Best!"



       Sounds good to me! Unfortunately, I had a lot of stuff to do today, including watching the Superbowl and four hours of pre-game programming. So, as it happens, I didn't manage to find that 15 minutes that might have started me on the road to feeling my best. In fact, I'm not feeling very good at all right now after drinking beer, eating chili and snacking on nacho chips with cheese dip.
       But starting tomorrow, I'm going to give it my all -- for 15 minutes a day, anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exercise gurus will tell you that the most committed exercisers are those who work out in the morning. Perhaps you should commit to your 15 minutes as soon as you get home from taking the dog for her morning walk. Before you shower, eat, or sit down with the newspaper. I'm sure you will feel much better if you start your day with a little exercise and get it out of the way. That's what works for me.

Anonymous said...

The exercise fanatic who posted above doesn't know what he/she is talking about. If you aren't a morning person, then there is nothing worse than forcing yourself to exercise first thing in the morning and it will become something you dread. Take the 15 minutes whenever it fits into your schedule and is convenient for you. Heck, you could even do it when you are watching Oprah!

Top Dog said...

Thanks Anonymous Number 2! I agree with you wholeheartedly. Anonymous Number 1 probably enjoyed climbing ropes as a kid, and maybe was even the sort of person who picked the teams -- leaving me behind.

But seriously, thank you both for your comments. I would love to be the sort of person who exercised first thing in the morning. Right now though, I'm doing what I can.