2/19/2009

A Shocking Idea...

       The iPosture is a round white device, around 1.5 inch in diameter (3.5 cm.).  It is supposed to be attached to the wearer -- either worn as a rather bizarre necklace, attached to the skin with adhesive, or hung from a bra strap. Apparently, when the wearer slouches -- even for a short time -- the device will transmit "subtle vibrations" to the skin, reminding the wearer to correct his or her posture.
       It sounds simple, but I'm a little bit afraid. 
       I keep on thinking of Stanley Milgram's famous experiment where Milgram demonstrated the willingness of people to obey authority.  This is the one where "teachers" were told they were giving electric shocks to "learners" (or victims) who gave the wrong answers to questions. The "learners" were in on the study and were just pretending to receive electric shocks from the teachers. What was troubling is that when told to, some of the teachers were willing to continue giving increasingly strong "shocks" even when the victim cried out in pain or complained about their heart condition.
       I'm worried that the iPosture might work in reverse. 
       Sure, I am told that it will transmit only a subtle vibration to my skin. But what if that's a lie? What if it just pretends to vibrate, but instead delivers increasingly strong electric shocks to my body? What if, like Milgram's teachers, it is so eager to correct my posture that it tries to shock me into submission?  
       And what if, once I am compliant with regard to posture, it begins controlling other aspects of my existence by shocking me when I fail to do other things? What if, when I fail to make the bed in the morning (for I have indeed stopped), my iPosture shocks me? What if it makes other, more troubling demands?
       Maybe I should wait to try it until Tom gets home, in case I need medical assistance, or in case I need help tearing the controlling device off of my body.
       Or maybe he's in on it, and plans to use the iPosture to turn me into a mini-skirt-wearing Stepford Wife. He often complains that I don't wear skirts often enough.
       I feel a true sense of terror. 
       Help me, please...before it takes over...
       AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

No comments: