2/04/2009

Feeling Old

       I'm sorry to say I didn't exercise yesterday after all. I ended up with a bad headache that I sincerely hope wasn't related to the exercise I had done the day before. Despite the fact that I would have been thrilled to get out of gym class as a kid, today I know that I really must do some form of fitness and am fearful I may be leaving it too late.
       When I signed up for my Pilates class last year, it was my first midlife attempt to get fit. But then my hip pain started. I went to my doctor, had an X-ray, went to the doctor again, was referred for physiotherapy, and saw the physiotherapist six times -- with little improvement. The final diagnosis and prescription was that I should quit Pilates and maybe start swimming.
       I don't mind swimming. I actually like it, except for the getting wet part and then having to get dry again afterward.
       But worse than that was the fact that I started to feel very old. It was a bit of a blow to be told at the age of 44 that swimming is all I can safely handle. Indeed, that is part of the reason I decided to try The Core Program. Hopefully, it will strengthen the core muscle groups in my torso and perhaps help me learn that I can count on my body after all.
       So I did do the exercises today, although not first thing in the morning, as helpfully suggested by an anonymous commenter. 
       I skipped the "tongue stretch" though. Designed to exercise the muscles that support our eyes (is that part of the core anyway?), I figured that if my headache was indeed related to any one exercise, it was that one. I also skipped the "lying spinal twist" which looked like it might aggravate my hip. Other than that, I managed to work my way through the program in about 20 minutes, which is pretty close to 15.
       But to be honest, it felt more like 30...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also freaked out by all the assorted aches and pains that I'm suddenly getting. I keep telling myself that I better start exercising because this is the age when everything starts to stick, but I've also noticed that old injuries that I thought were long healed are suddenly aching again -- what the heck is up with that!

Anonymous said...

Our misconception is that the process of getting old is a linear process. It is not linear, but is rather logarithmic. Like sliding down a hill, speed increases on the way down. Old "healed" injuries re-appear, bumps and growths appear under the skin. It bad enough to have developed hair in the nostrils, but now they are starting to turn grey. Things that should be loose are tightening, and things that should be tight are loosening. Unfortunately, none of this will be halted by exercising my tongue muscles.

Top Dog said...

So what you're saying is that things are only going to get worse? Ouch!