2/18/2009

My New Gadget

       It's time to introduce my newest gadget. Like the shape-up shoes, this one is designed to help me get fit without taking any more of my time.
       It's called iPosture.  According to the front of the pack it is "QUICK & EASY". It goes on: "Trim your waistline now! Maximize your height, Gain confidence and energy." It is, it says, my "own personal posture coach!"
   I admit that these breathless promises remind me of the "sea-monkey" ads that used to be on the back of comic books.  But just as I did in fact order my own sea monkey royal family all those years ago, I also simply had to have iPosture.
      Those you have been following this resolution all month long will know that the last personal trainer I visited commented on my poor posture, so I would likely benefit from a personal posture coach.  In addition, I think there is little doubt that good posture is key to a strong core.
       But the other iPosture promises are even more thrilling.  First, I have not been dieting this month, although the reality is that I'm sure I could lose 20 lbs. without anyone worrying I  was too skinny. And since fitness combined with laziness is my goal for the month, it is appealing to think that I may trim my waist without dieting.   (On the other hand, plenty of weight-loss products make promises like that, including many of those which talk about "cleansing". Yuck...)
       Way more important to me is the idea that I might somehow seem taller without having to grow -- not that that alone has much to do with my fitness resolution.
       However, the fact is that I am somewhat vertically-challenged. Indeed, I have been waiting to grow ever since I saw all my friends getting their magical "growth spurt" in their teens. I waited, wished and hoped -- for years -- but it never found it's way to me.  And at the age of 45, I guess it never will.
       "Maximizing my height" may be as close as I ever get. And at my age, I guess it's better than shrinking.

1 comment:

NPinsky said...

I have visions of some medieval device that sends powerful jolts of electricity through your body each time you slouch. One thing that works for me to help me keep from slouching is to focus on keeping my stomach muscles pulled in - like you are doing crunches.
Oh and by the way, you are not short - you are just unusually not tall!