1/15/2009

Sorting the Mail

       Yesterday, I went to my local Container Store, and, naturally, could not find the file holder I had seen in New York. The closest thing I could find was a five-slot "Super Sorter". The name was great, but since I had already identified the need for six slots, I was in a bit of a quandary. I scanned the store so carefully, shelf by shelf, that a salesclerk asked if I was a professional organizer looking for supplies. Looking down suddenly, I ruefully had to admit that I didn't even know where my shopping cart was.
       After the clerk found my cart, I settled on a new solution -- the Super Sorter, stacked on top of two letter trays.  That would give me seven slots. I decided that I would use the seventh one for stamps, return address labels, envelopes and my checkbook, so that I would have all material handy to pay my bills.
       This morning, I got to work on sorting. As Tom had kindly left unopened all mail received while I was away, I had a good-sized stack to go through.
       And it went very smoothly.  Within about an hour, I had sorted not only all the new mail, I had also sorted through the pile of clutter I had allowed to grow on the corner of the kitchen island.
       The Container Store web site suggests that the Super Sorter/letter tray combo can be a "super chic home mail center."  I think it is more of a monstrosity. But I think, as well, that it just might work. I already feel that I will know where to easily find items in the future. I also discovered that with my categories established, I was confident in throwing out more mail -- as junk, repetitive or simply unnecessary.
       Time, and persistence, will tell if the Martha plan works in the long term.
       But what is amazing, once again, is how simple it all seems. Like cleaning while cooking, or making the bed, it is fast and easy, and a definite improvement.
       I almost feel annoyed with Martha for being right, again.  But underneath that is just a sense of wonder. Does Martha know everything?

No comments: