1/13/2009

Fit to be Tied

       Since my friend here in New York is so perfectly uncluttered, I figured that I would impress her by telling her something about cleaning that she didn't already know.  Martha's description of how to properly fold a fitted sheet seemed just the thing to really wow her.  The trick is to start by tucking each corner into the other. 
       "Do you know how to fold a fitted sheet so that it's all tidy?" I asked.
       "You mean with the corners all tucked into each other?" she replied.
       "Uh...yeah...," I said, before changing the topic.
       But it bothered me.  Down deep, it bothered me.
       So I asked another friend here in New York if she knew how to fold a fitted sheet.  And she knew the trick too. And then I called a friend in Toronto, who not only knew the trick, but also commented that it doesn't always work as well as promised. Then I e-mailed another friend, who also knew about it. Then I text-messaged a sister-in-law to ask her. She sent back a nice note, but didn't answer the question. Clearly her priorities are not where they should be.
        And while I shopped yesterday (nearly 12 hours straight, remarkably) I remained bothered by the whole fitted sheet issue. Was I the only one on the planet who didn't know about this? What other tricks of woman-hood (or person-hood) had been denied me?  What other secrets was everyone in on, except me?  
       Or perhaps I had known about it once, but had simply forgotten. Perhaps this was my first, somewhat premature, "senior moment"?  Or perhaps I had erased my memory of proper sheet folding, due to some traumatic childhood event?  
       I'm not kidding here. When I say I was bothered, I mean I was really, really bothered.
       So late last night, I called my Mom.  It turns out she doesn't fold sheets the Martha way.  Instead, she tries to fold over the edges of the sheets, so that she is left with a square -- which is what I do.  And, the whole time she is folding, she works to keep the elasticized parts folded in, so that they remain hidden -- which is what I do. And when she puts the sheets in the linen closet, she puts the flat sheet on top of the fitted sheet, so that if the fitted sheet is a bit lumpy, it is mostly flattened and hidden by the top sheet -- which is what I do!  
       And suddenly I was feeling good again. I may not know everything.  I may not be perfect.  But what I do have is tradition.  And that has to count for something.

       By the way, if any of my readers also don't know the Martha method, post a comment, and I'll describe it in detail. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So,I fold the same way you and your mom do, which is the same way my mom taught me to do it. What does Martha know that I don't know? But maybe a better question is: does it matter? Once I put the fitted sheet on the bed it gets smoothed out. And then it gets covered by the top sheet and the quilt, so nobody can see the wrinkles on it. Or is it more a linen closet appearance-thing? I'm so confused...

Top Dog said...

Oh, it is definitely a linen closet appearance thing. And it's also a matter of personal satisfaction. Maybe it's silly, but I do feel a sense of satisfaction at seeing how perfectly folded my flat sheet is, and then a minor sense of humiliation at my messy fitted sheet. Are you suggesting maybe I should attach my self-esteem to something more important?

Anonymous said...

Either that or quit spending so much time looking inside the linen closet.

Anonymous said...

Karen and Brenda:

Time to reassess your priorities. Attaching one's self esteem to the appearance of sheets in linen closets is almost always going to be disappointing, and rarely draws much of a crowd.

In the alternative, I strongly suggest that you do more of what I do, and firmly attach your self esteem to the haphazard bounce of a rubber disk whacked around a sheet of ice by a bunch of 20 year olds with the name of your school or your home city on their chest. Sure, it can sometime be a little tense or even a little disspointing, but more often than not, you come away with victory, justice is served, and you get cold beer along the way. And when you are feeling a little lazy, you can even watch it on TV, too.

Sheets just can't do that.

-Tom

Anonymous said...

Folded sheet folding has been an art that has eluded me for decades. I watch enviously as others fold their sheets like fine origami, ending up with perfectly aligned edges with sharp creases.

Having failed at sheet folding, I can take comfort in my knowledge of the art of slipping the pillow into the case so that it is not crooked. Small victories.