1/06/2009

Making the Bed...

      MAKE THE BED is the first on the list of Martha's "six things to do every day".   She says that "tidyness begets tidiness" (as proved by my husband -- see my January 4 posting) and that having a nicely made bed makes it less likely that one will allow clothes and clutter to pile up around it.
       It sounds easy, I know.  Yet, I'm having a problem with it -- and have for much of my adult life.
       The fact is that I don't like sleeping in an unmade bed.  So I do tend to make the bed at some point during the day -- often in the late afternoon; sometimes, right before climbing in for the night.  But Martha's rule seems to imply that bed-making should be done earlier in the day, so that it can beget the promised tidiness.  Also, having it as the first rule on her list suggests that perhaps this should even be the first thing done each day.
       In addition (and this is strange), I don't experience any hesitation making the bed at other people's homes.  If I am a guest at my parents' or in-laws' or brothers' homes, for example, I tend to make the bed before I leave the room each morning.  But in my own home? Hardly ever.
       Although I have not undergone any psychiatric counseling, I suspect this issue is rooted in my childhood...  (More to come, tomorrow)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that your bedspread was so special and mine so ordinary. I thought mine was special too. Now I'm pissed off, and, well, just sad. I tried to make my bed when younger. Now I don't. Our nanny does it. Fresh and neat. Cool sheets. Every night. It's almost a shame to get in, but once I do, it's, well, like heaven. Get a nanny and get a bed-making guarantee at the same time! And live, LIVE, I say. Then go to bed.

Top Dog said...

Thanks a lot, "anonymous". I'm glad you're checking in, but now I'm pissed off too.

Anonymous said...

Making a bed is one of those most difficult of tasks simply because of the room in which it is in. If your bed was in the middle of the living room, you would make it every day. Anyone whom I invite into my bedroom is not too concerned whether the sheets are neatly folded over!

There is only one time of year, when bedmaking becomes an urgent matter. In the depth of winter I will do my laundry at night so that I can make the bed with hot sheets right out of the clothes drier. Of course, as soon as the bed is made, I climb in and enjoy the warmth.

Top Dog said...

What a great idea! It makes me sleepy just to think of it. I'll have to try that some cold winter night...