1/11/2009

A Break in the Clutter

       I simply can't talk about clutter today.  I'm visiting a friend in New York City, and I'm a wee bit distracted by the sales everywhere.
       But on the clutter topic, one of the good things about visiting friends is realizing that they have clutter too. It makes me feel less alone in my battle. 
       Of course, the friend I am visiting now would have to be the one exception to the rule. Her place is so organized that she even has a special binder for organizing her take-out menus. Aaarrrgghh! Mind you, when I arrived, her fridge held only some butter and some bottled water.  (See my Jan. 5 posting for more on that topic.)
       Here in New York, we had dinner at one of Mario Batali's restaurants -- Lupa. We tried a number of different dishes, to try to get the full effect before we got too full ourselves. While some things were merely very good, others were extraordinary.  We had some ricotta gnocchi that were fluffy pillows of joy -- each bite a sparkle of perfection on the tongue. And the veal saltimbocca was flawless -- juicy, flavorful and beautifully served.  And to top it off, we saw Mario as he walked briskly through the restaurant. When we said hello, his mouth said, "Hello, how are you?", but his eyes said, "Who the hell are you?"  It was a true New York moment.
       I would have loved to see Mario's kitchen. I'm pretty sure everyone in it cleans as they cook.

No comments: