1/09/2009

Making the Bed, The Final Chapter, Part II

       I made the bed again this morning. Again, it happened remarkably quickly, and I had sort of a good feeling about it -- but definitely not as good as yesterday. While walking the dog (without yesterday's spring in my step), I started to contemplate it.  And here's what I concluded.
       Shouldn't my husband, Tom, be the one making the bed in the morning?  He's the last one in it.  Isn't that the rule -- that the last one in it makes it?  The way we're doing it, not only do I get up first, but he gets the added benefit of five minutes more sleep, as well as the joy of being gently and kindly awakened by me. And after all that, it's up to me to make the bed?
       To be fair, Tom and I have divided up the household responsibilities, and it works for us.  He brings home a steady paycheck, occasionally changes light bulbs and, as necessary, fills the Q-tip container in the bathroom.  I do everything else.  Surely, Tom can cope with adding bed-making to his list of duties.
       But perhaps the bigger question is whether the effort will be worth it. Not only will I have to convince him to do it (which could take days), and then train him to do the task properly, I'll also have to provide consistent corrections, rewards and praise for what is, after all, only a 45-second task.
       Uh oh!  Tom is reading this over my shoulder.
       "You're writing about making the bed for a fourth day? Isn't that overdoing it a bit? Besides, I would give up all the extra cleaning you've been doing if you'd just deal with the clutter somehow," Tom says.
       "It's not about what you want," I reply testily. But underneath it is the knowledge that I have been caught.  I had hoped that focusing on my bed-making accomplishments might distract attention from other, more troubling, cleaning issues. But that's the problem with being married to someone for 15 years.  He can see right through me.

Tomorrow: Coming Clean about the Clutter

No comments: